- Corporate Profile
- Investor Relations
- Press Room
- Working with Intuit
- Social Responsibility
- Careers at Intuit
- Contact Us
Intuit Canada and Uber Partner to Simplify Tax Filings for the On-demand Economy
TurboTax, Quickbooks Self-Employed Help Save Time and Money for Uber Partners
TORONTO – Feb. 21, 2017 – Intuit Canada (Nasdaq: INTU) and Uber today announced a national partnership through which Intuit will deliver financial and tax-time tools, resources and expertise to help Canadians working in the growing on-demand economy effortlessly track finances and file their taxes.
Smartphone technology is transforming the way people get around town. Passengers can now push a button and get a ride within minutes — creating new, flexible work opportunities for tens of thousands of Canadians in the process.
The financial situation for Uber partners is often different from traditional employees. As independent contractors, Uber partners have to understand potential tax deductions, untangle co-mingled business and personal expenses and stay on top of recordkeeping.
According to Intuit findings, the average self-employed worker has more than 1,000 financial transactions per year, yet one-third do not claim any business-related expenses that may be available to them.
Filing a tax return can be complicated and time-consuming but technology and tools can help make that process easier, especially when earnings are electronically tracked and are easier to declare. Like other independent contractors, Uber partners are responsible for tracking and reporting their own business expenses, such as annual gross fares, mileage, tolls, gas and other expenses. To help Uber partners navigate this, TurboTax will offer tax expertise, including:
- Tax Microsite: A source of tax tips and content, including information from TurboTax tax experts to educate driver-partners and help them use TurboTax to claim the maximum tax refund they deserve.
- Comprehensive Help: Uber partners can get 24/7 answers to many of their tax questions from a community of experts and other contributors.
- Easy transfer of CRA information with Auto-Fill My Return: TurboTax enables customers to instantly import their official tax information, such as RRSP investment receipts, directly from their CRA “My Account” into their tax return quickly and accurately.
"Together, TurboTax and QuickBooks Self-Employed deliver a powerful, yet simple and streamlined solution to the growing number of Canadians working in the on-demand economy," said Jeff Cates, president of Intuit Canada. "Intuit is uniquely positioned to offer Uber driver-partners expert answers and support year-round. We're excited to partner with Uber to help their driver-partners save time and money."
To help driver-partners stay organized year-round, Intuit will also offer QuickBooks Self-Employed. Users can snap and store receipts, manage expenses, mileage and invoices all in one place. To help Uber partners prepare for tax time, QuickBooks Self-Employed also includes:
- Mileage Tracking: Track mileage automatically with a mobile phone and categorize trips with a swipe. QuickBooks Self-Employed helps users identify potential vehicle deductions and prepare for tax time.
- Expense Tracking: Business and personal expenses are easily categorized by swiping left or right on in the mobile app, making it easy and fast to track every potential deduction.
- Receipt Capture: Take a photo of a receipt with the mobile app and link it to the appropriate expense.
- Effortless invoicing: Create and send invoices effortlessly through the app on the go, and know when to follow up with customers by seeing when they’ve been viewed.
"We are always looking for new ways to support driver-partners to make their Uber experience as easy and as simple as possible," said Ian Black, regional general manager for Uber Canada. "As the tax season approaches, we are pleased to partner with Intuit Canada, who can offer their tools, resources and expertise to driver partners on managing their self-employed business finances."
With more than 20 years’ experience helping Canadians file their taxes confidently and get all the money they deserve, TurboTax Online products are available at www.turbotax.ca. For more information, tax tips and advice, please visit www.blog.turbotax.ca/. To download the new QuickBooks Self-Employed mobile app today from the App Store or Google Play.
About Intuit Inc.
Intuit Inc. creates business and financial management solutions that simplify the business of life for small businesses, consumers and accounting professionals.
Its flagship products and services include QuickBooks® and TurboTax®, which make it easier to manage small businesses and tax preparation and filing. Mint provides a fresh, easy and intelligent way for people to manage their money, while Intuit's ProConnect brand portfolio includes ProConnect Tax Online, ProSeries® and Lacerte®, the company's leading tax preparation offerings for professional accountants.
Founded in 1983, Intuit had revenue of $4.7 billion in its fiscal year 2016. The company has approximately 7,900 employees with major offices in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, India, Australia and other locations. More information can be found at www.intuit.com.
About Uber Canada
Co-founded by Canadian entrepreneur Garrett Camp in 2009, Uber is evolving the way the world moves. Present in over 40 communities in Canada, Uber has revolutionized transportation and offers more than 32,000 Canadian driver-partners a new way to earn income in their spare time by offering an affordable transportation alternative to hundreds of thousands of riders across the country. For more information, visit uber.com.