In order to avoid the devastating effects of global warming, there’s an urgent need to do more to protect our environment.
“Intuit’s mission is to power prosperity around the world. Delivering on that mission means leaving the world a better place than we found it,” said Eileen Fagan, head of Corporate Responsibility at Intuit. This belief drives Intuit’s strong sense of responsibility to build a sustainable future and help make sure the planet will be here for generations to come.
In 2018, as part of our Corporate Social Responsibility report, we declared four core sustainability targets:
- Achieving 100% renewable electricity by 2030
- Reducing carbon footprint of our facilities by 80% by 2025
- Reducing our total operational footprint by 50% by 2025
- Divert 90% of our waste by 2020
We are proud to announce that Intuit has earned validation for its core sustainability targets, originally set in 2016, from the Science Based Targets initiative(SBTi). The SBTi is a collaboration between CDP, the United Nations Global Compact, World Resources Institute (WRI) and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), which independently assesses and validates corporate emissions reduction targets against the latest climate science.
Along with 200+ other companies that have verified their goals with SBTi, Intuit has now joined the global movement for corporate climate action. Intuit is on track to surpass three of these targets — achieving 100% renewable electricity, reducing the carbon footprint of our facilities by 80%, and reducing total operational footprint by 50% — more than three times faster than originally projected when we set goals in 2016.
Beyond our operational, facilities and employee footprint, we are dreaming much bigger. We believe that through strategic partnerships, innovation and our own products, we can drive sustainability that moves beyond our own walls and drives industry change that favors a healthy, sustainable planet and future.
Intuit’s sustainability programs include:
- Purely Green: In 2018, Intuit introduced the Purely Green program, a partnership between Just Energy, RPD Energy and Intuit that enables Intuit to share its corporate wind power procurement in Texas with small business and residential customers at a discounted price
- Offsetting Employee Business Travel: Through select travel partners, Intuit reduces the negative impact of carbon emissions during business travel. Measuring and offsetting carbon emissions from employee travel is considered a reduction of Scope 3 emissions, which include indirect emissions such as business travel, employee commute, supply chain and customers.
- Project Drawdown: Since 2015, Intuit has committed to becoming carbon neutral by purchasing carbon offsets to mitigate all of its direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions. Intuit has partnered with Project Drawdown to support carbon offset projects that focus on not only preserving habitats that are environmentally sensitive, but also create an impact through small business growth, female entrepreneurship and community-based conservation.
Our ambition and innovation is aligned to our mission to power prosperity around the world — by first taking care of our planet. We have a lot of work to do to reverse the effects of climate change, and Intuit is committed to taking a stance and navigating new ways to inspire our employees and key partners to reduce our footprint.
Let’s make every day earth day!